Volume 2 Issue 8 - April 15, 2004
CEC agrees to meet DRG representatives
DNIS News Network -- Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) T.S. Krishnamurthy has agreed to meet with a seven-strong delegation of leaders of the Disability Rights Group on April 5.
DRG first contacted the CEC with is suggestions of how to make polling booths fully accessible on March 4 but until now has been dismayed by the lack of response. The group's Convenor, Javed Abidi, who is standing as an independent candidate to fight for the rights of disabled people, was determined their demands be heard: "They should not underestimate us; if the disabled are denied their rights we may even go to court."
It took direct action by DRG and its supporters to persuade the CEC to consider its demands. They held a dharna outside the CEC office on March 26, and a gherao on April 2. It was only under such continued pressure that the CEC felt the need to consider the requirements of disabled voters.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poor access to polling stations is a bar to democracy
- Protestors demand their democratic rights
- Independent candidate slams big two parties for ignoring significant minority
- Accessibility is not an expensive issue
- CEC agrees to meet DRG representatives
- DRG puts demands to Krishnamurthy
- High Court orders report on disability bar
- President meets disability campaigners
- EC issues response to DRG's election demands
- Javed Abidi to fast unto death over EC's "apathetic attitude"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: