Volume 2 Issue 8 - April 15, 2004
High Court orders report on disability bar
DNIS News Network -- The Union Government has failed to meet yet another deadline from the High Court to explain why it is denying entry to the Indian Administrative Service for qualified disabled candidates.
The court had previously issued a deadline of April 7 for the relevant government departments to supply the required information but the Department of Personnel and Training and the Ministry of Social Justice both failed to reply by that time.
Before the 1995 Disability Act, disabled candidates were admitted to the IAS and there are several serving IAS employees with disabilities, some 12 of whom now hold senior government positions. Ironically, since the passing of the equal opportunities act, disabled candidates have been denied entry to the service. The High court is seeking an explanation of why such candidates are excluded, when there is a 3% reservation for disabled candidates. It also pointed out the anomaly of candidates being allowed to sit the entrance exam but denied jobs when they prove successful.
Disability rights campaigner Javed Abidi asked the court to look at the case of Ravi Arora, a visually disabled candidate who was allowed to complete the entrance exam in Braille but was then denied a job because of his disability: "If you are not taking them, why is the UPSC conducting exams in Braille? What is the point?"
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poor access to polling stations is a bar to democracy
- Protestors demand their democratic rights
- Independent candidate slams big two parties for ignoring significant minority
- Accessibility is not an expensive issue
- CEC agrees to meet DRG representatives
- DRG puts demands to Krishnamurthy
- High Court orders report on disability bar
- President meets disability campaigners
- EC issues response to DRG's election demands
- Javed Abidi to fast unto death over EC's "apathetic attitude"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: