Volume 2 Issue 8 - April 15, 2004
EC issues response to DRG's election demands
DNIS News Network -- Disability Rights Group activists have expressed deep disappointment with the response of the Election Commission to demands to make polling booths fully accessible in the Lok Sabha elections.
DRG met with the Election Commissioner and presented a list of demands, including the provision of ramps and Braille signage at polling stations and was hoping for a positive response.
However, when the EC did issue a directive, it fell far short of hopes and expectations. It indicated that ramps should be provided only "wherever possible" providing a large loophole, which polling station officials can use in order to do nothing to improve access for disabled voters.
DRG Convener Javed Abidi summed up the feelings of the group: "We are sick and tired. There is nothing new in this circular. It is similar to the letter by the commission in 1998." He also highlighted the unsatisfactory nature of the allowance for visually impaired voters to take an escort with them when casting their vote: "Every visually impaired person should be allowed to exercise the right of secret ballot. It was very easy for them to put Braille numbers on the electronic voting machines."
The EC circular failed to address the majority of points raised by the DRG and as such has been dismissed as "too little too late". Abidi added, "The first phase of elections is about to start; let's see where all the ramps come up."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poor access to polling stations is a bar to democracy
- Protestors demand their democratic rights
- Independent candidate slams big two parties for ignoring significant minority
- Accessibility is not an expensive issue
- CEC agrees to meet DRG representatives
- DRG puts demands to Krishnamurthy
- High Court orders report on disability bar
- President meets disability campaigners
- EC issues response to DRG's election demands
- Javed Abidi to fast unto death over EC's "apathetic attitude"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: