Volume 4 Issue 8 - April 15, 2006
Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
D.N.I.S. News Network- Disabled women in Orissa took out a rally on the World Women’s Day for demanding implementation of the Disability Act and formation of State-level Disability Commission, among other issues.
Led by Nuapada District Disabled Committee, the participants in the rally marched towards the District Collector’s Office and submitted a memorandum addressed to Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
The President of the Committee, Pradeep Aggarwal, stressed on the demand for inclusion of disabled people in the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, while presenting the 11-point memorandum to the Block Development Officer.
Other issues highlighted in the memorandum, include a hike in Orissa Disability Pension Scheme from Rs. 100 to Rs. 500, announcement of a comprehensive social security scheme with special focus rehabilitation of disabled women and fulfilment of three per cent job reservation in State Government jobs.
Enthused by the participation in the rally, disabled protestors also presented a separate memorandum demanding allotment of land to disabled people, women in particular, to make them self-reliant.
It is important to note that disabled women constitute the most vulnerable and marginalised social group and there is a need for a targeted focus on them. According to a recent study by a non-government organisation for disabled women, Swabhimaan, over 12 per cent of disabled women in Orissa have been raped and 25 per cent of mentally challenged women have been sexually assaulted.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Inclusive Education to receive unprecedented focus through S.S.A.; Sub-Mission announced
- Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
- N.C.P.E.D.P partners with C.I.I. for Conference on Disability
- Disabled girl’s dream of joining I.A.S. nipped in the bud
- Goa becomes the first to announce State Disability Policy
- Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
- Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
- M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
- Jawaharlal Nehru University gearing for disabled-friendly initiatives
- Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: