Volume 4 Issue 8 - April 15, 2006
M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
D.N.I.S. News Service- In one of the biggest projects to make the public transport system in the National Capital disabled-friendly, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) has sanctioned a grant of over one billion rupee to Delhi Transport Corporation (D.T.C.) for making 70 bus stops universally accessible.
The announcement is being seen as a part of the Government’s plan to make the entire National Capital accessible for disabled people before the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
The base level of the bus stops will be re-laid to match with the ground clearance of minimum height above the ground level of the bus, i.e. 380 mm.
Visually impaired commuters will be able to use guiding blocks at both ends of ramps that will be constructed at the selected bus stops. Transport Research and Injury Prevention Programme, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi will, as in the past, provide technical expertise in the designing and layout of these new features.
There will be a provision of audio beepers that will alert visually impaired commuters about the nearby traffic signals. Braille Signage and speakers will keep users informed about the approaching bus stops and the route. The driver will have control of the audio system.
A separate space that can allow parking of two wheelchairs at a time will be also be provided at the sheltered stop along with “stop request” button for emergencies.
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Inclusive Education to receive unprecedented focus through S.S.A.; Sub-Mission announced
- Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
- N.C.P.E.D.P partners with C.I.I. for Conference on Disability
- Disabled girl’s dream of joining I.A.S. nipped in the bud
- Goa becomes the first to announce State Disability Policy
- Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
- Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
- M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
- Jawaharlal Nehru University gearing for disabled-friendly initiatives
- Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: