Volume 4 Issue 8 - April 15, 2006
Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
D.N.I.S. News Network- An art exhibition involving mentally disabled youth and the country’s best painters was recently held in the Capital to raise funds for the activities of Society for Child Development.
The event was different from the usual fundraisers, as it got together artists and mentally disabled youth in a working alliance to generate money for both of them.
In a clear break from the charity approach, the mentally disabled youth, working in the production centre of the Society, created acid free, art quality papers, and these were sent to eminent artists who transformed the papers into masterpieces. The proceeds from the artwork would be shared between the artists and the workers, who produced the paper. A part of the earning will also be used to fund programmes of the Society.
“This initiative is to ensure the sustainability of the organisation and to free it from the need to spend vital time and energy in sourcing funds,” says the organisation’s souvenir brought out to mark the event.
A press release said that the event showcased the Society’s exemplary model of service delivery (education and employment) for those with intellectual and mental disabilities.
The three-day event was held at the Visual Arts Gallery at India Habitat Centre and showcased works of over 52 painters.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Inclusive Education to receive unprecedented focus through S.S.A.; Sub-Mission announced
- Assembly polls see debut of Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in Assam, but very few ramps
- N.C.P.E.D.P partners with C.I.I. for Conference on Disability
- Disabled girl’s dream of joining I.A.S. nipped in the bud
- Goa becomes the first to announce State Disability Policy
- Social Justice March by disabled political activists reaches Delhi
- Disabled women in Orissa step out to press for their demands on World Women’s Day
- M.S.J.E. clears over one billion rupee to D.T.C. to make public transport disabled-friendly
- Jawaharlal Nehru University gearing for disabled-friendly initiatives
- Exhibition involving mentally disabled youth, India’s best painters breaks the charity mould
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: