Volume 6 Issue 8 - October 01, 2009
Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: For quite some time now, the disability sector has been demanding the appointment of a Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities. The post has been lying vacant for several months now. But recently Sangita Gairola, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, took additional charge as the new Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities.What is disturbing is that the government did not feel the need to announce such an important decision. D.N.I.S. spoke to Arvind Pareek, Deputy Director - Media, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment about this hush hush affair.
“We do not release any press release for any appointments,” Pareek said. “All press releases are sanctioned by the Minister and we did not get any orders to make this public,” he added.
The fact that the post was lying vacant for so long was brought to the Prime Minister’s notice when delegates of the National Committee for Persons with Disabilities - India (N.C.R.P.D. - India) met Dr. Manmohan Singh in July. The disability sector has also long been demanding that the Chief Commissioner should be a person with disability.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
- Finally, R.T.E. Act to be amended to include all disabilities
- Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- International Day of the Deaf celebrated
- Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
- ‘Right to Read’ : Visually impaired people demand a change in the Copyright Act
- Draft Amendments to the National Trust Act released
- Pay up, Supreme Court tells banks!
- Right to drive for hearing impaired people - Delhi High court to decide soon
- Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: