Volume 6 Issue 8 - October 01, 2009
Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: While the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment seems to be going ahead with the amendments to the Disability Act despite strong demands from the disability sector to look at the possibility of a new Act, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P) is organizing a National Consultation on October 29 in New Delhi to take this debate to a larger platform.
N.C.P.E.D.P. has also formed a national level Core Group to broadbase this discussion. Javed Abidi will be the Convenor of the group with Vandana Bedi, Consultant, Disability and Development as Joint Convenor. The National Consultation would be organised under the aegis of this Core Group.
It may be mentioned that a delegation of Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) met Mukul Wasnik, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment on August 29 and submitted a detailed letter apprising the Minister about the lacunae in the proposed amendments and the need for a new law. Wasnik also conceded that there were indeed more than a hundred amendments and it was necessary to make a new law instead. However, in a clear deviation from his earlier stand, the Minister recently spoke only about amendments at a recent meet of State Welfare ministers.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India ratifies U.N.C.R.P.D. and then forgets!
- Finally, R.T.E. Act to be amended to include all disabilities
- Hush hush appointment of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
- International Day of the Deaf celebrated
- Amendment or New Law? National Consultation to take the debate further
- ‘Right to Read’ : Visually impaired people demand a change in the Copyright Act
- Draft Amendments to the National Trust Act released
- Pay up, Supreme Court tells banks!
- Right to drive for hearing impaired people - Delhi High court to decide soon
- Delhi High Court directs Delhi government to appoint special educators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: