Volume 8 Issue 8 - November 15, 2011
M.H.A.D.A. rapped for not using the right definition of disability
The Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (M.H.A.D.A.) has come under fire for delaying the amending of its rules to enhance housing quota for persons with disabilities. The Bombay High Court has directed the State Government to ensure that the definition of disability used by M.H.A.D.A. conforms to the one used in the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995.
An intervention application was filed by Bapu Trust for Research on Mind and Discourse, which said that M.H.A.D.A. does not identify all disabilities at par and particularly excludes persons with mental illness. The petition also pointed out that M.H.A.D.A. reserves only 2% of their flats, as against the mandated quota of 3% for disabled persons. Even the 2% quota is shared with terminally ill patients and does not cover all disabilities.
The High Court had passed the directive to the state to amend M.H.A.D.A. rules to enhance the percentage of flats for disabled people from 2% to 3% within two months.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Javed Abidi elected as Chairperson of D.P.I.
- 12th Plan Steering Committees: A major breakthrough for the disability sector
- The 13th N.C.P.E.D.P. – Shell Helen Keller Awards 2011 announced
- N.A.C. to look into the proposed new disability rights law
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee formed for I.S.L.R.T.C.
- Stakeholders’ Report for the U.P.R.
- Discriminatory law denies equal rights to hearing impaired girl
- M.H.A.D.A. rapped for not using the right definition of disability
- Report on setting up of the institute on universal design awaited
- A children’s festival with a message
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: