Volume 8 Issue 8 - November 15, 2011
A children’s festival with a message
Swabhiman, a Disability Information and Resource Centre established in 2001 and a member of the National Disability Network, has been trying to create an equitable society for persons with disabilities since its inception. As always, it marked Children’s Day with the Anjali National Children’s Festival. The agenda this year was to showcase the diverse work and the archive of achievements from 2001 to 2010.
The festival also chronicled the work undertaken by sister concerns of Swabhiman such as Equity, which focuses on placement of persons with disabilities and Sandhan which aims to create responsible citizens by developing think tanks in different colleges. Various publications of the organisation were also put on display for people to see, including ‘Blue File’ – a quarterly compilation of newspaper articles on disability in India, ‘Giant Leap Forward’ – the quarterly newsletter of Swabhiman, ‘Concessions & Facilities’ – the first and only compilation of various facilities provided to persons with disabilities by the Government of India and other such works.
The last two years have been particularly eventful for the organisation. They formed the Disability Commission in Orissa in 2010, helped to carry out the 2011 census on disability in Orissa and were also consulted by the State Government in the formation of the Vision 2020 Document.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Javed Abidi elected as Chairperson of D.P.I.
- 12th Plan Steering Committees: A major breakthrough for the disability sector
- The 13th N.C.P.E.D.P. – Shell Helen Keller Awards 2011 announced
- N.A.C. to look into the proposed new disability rights law
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee formed for I.S.L.R.T.C.
- Stakeholders’ Report for the U.P.R.
- Discriminatory law denies equal rights to hearing impaired girl
- M.H.A.D.A. rapped for not using the right definition of disability
- Report on setting up of the institute on universal design awaited
- A children’s festival with a message
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: