Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
DNIS News Network -- A letter written by the Disabled Rights Group (DRG) to the Chief Justice of India, V.N. Khare, recommending that election procedures be made disabled friendly, is being treated as a Public Interest Litigation (PIL). It will come up for hearing in the Court of the Chief Justice on April 16 2004.
DRG wrote to the Election Commission in early March to provide disabled voters with facilities such as ramps and Braille stickers. Activists have slammed as "too little and too late" the EC directive to provide wooden ramps "wherever possible".
"We have been trying to get the Election Commission to act on our recommendations, but so far nothing has been done. It is for this reason that I have been on a fast-unto-death," said Javed Abidi, convener, DRG. "The Disability Act was passed in 1995 but if the issue of the disabled is so non-serious in this country, then what is the meaning of such an act?"
"There are about 4.5 crore disabled voters in India. How long are they expected to suffer? Something needs to be done; this is the fourth General Election since the act came into force," Abidi added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: