Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
CJI takes up access issue
DNIS News Network -- On April 16 a three-judge Bench comprising the Chief Justice of India V.N. Khare, Justices S.B. Sinha and S.H. Kapadia issued notices to the Election Commission and the Central Government on a petition filed by the Disabled Rights Group (DRG).
DRG filed the petition to ensure facilities are provided to allow disabled people to cast their votes in the forthcoming General Election. The authorities concerned have been ordered to file a reply to the judgment by April 19.
The counsel for the EC, S Murlidharan, had argued unsuccessfully that it had already issued orders to the chief electoral officers of the States to provide all facilities wherever possible to enable disabled voters to exercise their franchise. It had ordered that blind voters could take a companion to cast their votes but this measure was rejected by DRG activists as a violation of the right to a secret ballot.
The CJI also said he had earlier delivered a judgment ordering the creation of trust with corpus of Rs 800 crore from the money "illegally" accumulated by banks' rounding of accounts. The bench had directed that this amount be spent on the welfare of the physically challenged.
In the light of the court's decision, the CJI asked DRG to persuade its convener, Javed Abidi, to end his fast-unto-death undertaken in protest against the Election Commission.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: