Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
DNIS News Network -- Two bikers were in Delhi recently after travelling almost halfway around the globe on motorcycles. Simon and Suzi Harby are globetrotting to highlight the work done by ORBIS International, engaged in its mission of "Saving Sight Worldwide."
Travelling on the Honda UK sponsored bikes; the Harbys were here to promote ORBIS' "visionary" cause. The couple has already covered several countries including France, Spain, Africa, Morocco, Ethiopia, and Uganda. In their travels around Asia they plan to visit Bangladesh, Nepal, Tibet, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, China and Mongolia.
Relegating their professional life to the background for the time being, Simon who is a political consultant to the pharmaceutical industry, and Suzi, who runs her own interior design business in London, have spent an exciting year completing their biking itinerary.
In Delhi, the duo spent time at the ORBIS-supported Childhood Blindness Project at Dr. Shroff's Charity Eye Hospital before returning to the saddle for their next destination.
Praising the adventurous spirit of the couple Ramesh Shankar, CEO of Dr. Shroff's Charity Eye Hospital, hoped their mission would able to sensitise individuals, organizations and governments to take on the mantle of eliminating childhood blindness.
The critical need of the hour is for eye care professionals and blindness prevention organisations, government organizations and all individuals to come together and redefine paediatric eye care in India said Mr. G. V. Rao, country director of ORBIS International.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: