Volume 2 Issue 9 - May 01, 2004
Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
DNIS News Network -- A 15-year-old disabled Polish boy has become the youngest teenager to walk unaided to the North Pole on April 21.
Accompanied by a veteran polar explorer, Jan Mela walked to the North Pole without any help. Expedition leader and fellow Pole Marek Kaminski, was the first man to reach both poles in one year on foot and unsupported.
Jan Mela, who was fitted with artificial limbs after losing an arm and leg in an electrical accident in 2002, was determined to overcome his disability. "If I can do it, other people can do great things, too," he said before setting out on the expedition.
In fact, Mela has achieved more than any so-called able-bodied boy of his age as, in addition to being the first handicapped person to walk to the North Pole, he is also the youngest person to make the journey unaided.
The unusual expedition began to take shape after the teenager met Kaminski and expressed a desire to see the North Pole. Kaminski, who has links with several charities, agreed to accompany Mela on his quest. It took the pair 21 days, including three of bad weather conditions, to reach the North Pole.
"I didn't think we could make it," Mela said, "but then things got better."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
- CJI takes up access issue
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: