Volume 4 Issue 9 - May 01, 2006
Chennai High Court gives nod to Low Floor Buses
DNIS News Network – Chennai High Court judges dismissed the idea of lift-attached buses terming the option as ‘not feasible’ on the ground that its slow operation would delay the commuting of the other passengers. Instead they put forth the idea of introducing the low-floor buses for disabled people in Chennai.
Earlier a Public Interest Litigation had been filed by Rajiv Rajan of the Disability Law Unit, South Zone, under Section 44 of the Disability Act seeking Judiciary’s intervention in ensuring non-discrimination in Transport system. Following this, the Metropolitan Transport Corporation in Chennai had introduced and demonstrated the working of the lift-attached bus to ensure a barrier free environment for disabled people to Chief Justice A. P. Shah and Justice Prabha Sridevan on the Court premises.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Rajasthan Government provides 3 % reservation for disabled people in R.J.S.
- Bihar Government to appoint State Commissioner for Disability
- N.C.E.R.T.â€™s Action Plan for â€˜School for Allâ€™
- South D.L.U. files petition against Culture and Religious Endowments Department, T.N.
- Chennai High Court gives nod to Low Floor Buses
- â€˜We don't have the money to provide you with all your rights': Chief Electoral Officer of Tamil Nadu
- National Capital Region gets round-the-clock disability helpline
- Hemophiliacs demand adequate funds and medical facility
- Experiences of the Disability Movement shared in the Arab world
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy offers hope to cerebral palsy affected people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: