Volume 6 Issue 9 - October 15, 2009
N.A.D. decries non - implementation of XIth Plan
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: National Association of the Deaf (N.A.D.) has expressed its extreme disappointment at the non - implementation of the promises made to the deaf community in the XIth Five Year Plan. In a letter to Dr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Vice Chairman, Planning Commission, A.S. Narayanan, Secretary, N.A.D. said that it was an indefensible betrayal and callous disregard of government’s own mandate.
“The 15 million deaf people in India have been neglected for the last 60 years. We were hopeful that the XIth Plan would provide us with our fundamental rights. However, it has been rendered a paper tiger, magnificent in conception but impotent in action,” said Narayanan.
“There is a need, an urgent need, to rectify the situation and step up efforts to implement what has been outlined in the Plan,” he added.
Narayanan urged Dr. Ahluwalia to take personal interest in the issue and ensure that the concerned ministries are instructed to put the provisions of the Plan with relation to the deaf community into practice and take affirmative action.
A separate chapter on disability was included in the XIth Plan after a tumultuous protest by the disability sector. It promised a Sign Language Research and Training Centre, National Captioning Centre, one residential special school up to 12th grade in every State and one Degree College for hearing impaired people in every zone, among other things.Click here to read full text of N.A.D.’s letter (WORD – 35.54 KB)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Everyone who needs support should be included in the National Trust Act”: Poonam Natarajan
- “Mental illness is not a disability, it is a disease”: J.P. Gadkari
- Barrier free Delhi - Ministry more keen on a quick fix
- Finally, Chandigarh Administration comes around
- M.S.J.E. continues to drag its feet on web access
- N.A.D. decries non - implementation of XIth Plan
- West Bengal leads in employing disabled people under N.R.E.G.A.
- Access Audit of Election Booths
- Third time around, hearing impaired Maniram makes it to I.A.S.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. in three more Indian languages
- Call for papers for Techshare India 2010 announced
- Signs of changing times
- Demand for accessible hotel rooms on the rise
- Registration of special category vehicles caught in red tape
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: