Volume 6 Issue 9 - October 15, 2009
Third time around, hearing impaired Maniram makes it to I.A.S.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Maniram Sharma, a hearing impaired person, cleared the elite Indian Administrative Service (I.A.S.) examinations three times - 2005, 2006 and 2009. But despite this he was not given an I.A.S. posting as only the partially hearing impaired were eligible while Sharma was fully hearing impaired. Finally, this October he was inducted into the I.A.S.
Sharma, who had a cochlear implant to improve his hearing, cleared the 2009 exams in August scoring the highest in the hearing impairment category. However, question marks were put on his level of disability and he did not get a call till now.
I still can't believe it has happened. It has not sunk in. After suffering so many disappointments, it's difficult to imagine it has actually come true,'' said Sharma.
It may be mentioned that N.C.P.E.D.P. had been spearheading the demand for allotting I.A.S. postings to disabled candidates who are given departments much lower in the hierarchy despite getting good ranks. From the success stories in the past few years, it is encouraging to see that disabled candidates are getting their due in the Indian civil services. However, still a lot more needs to be done.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âEveryone who needs support should be included in the National Trust Actâ: Poonam Natarajan
- âMental illness is not a disability, it is a diseaseâ: J.P. Gadkari
- Barrier free Delhi - Ministry more keen on a quick fix
- Finally, Chandigarh Administration comes around
- M.S.J.E. continues to drag its feet on web access
- N.A.D. decries non - implementation of XIth Plan
- West Bengal leads in employing disabled people under N.R.E.G.A.
- Access Audit of Election Booths
- Third time around, hearing impaired Maniram makes it to I.A.S.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. in three more Indian languages
- Call for papers for Techshare India 2010 announced
- Signs of changing times
- Demand for accessible hotel rooms on the rise
- Registration of special category vehicles caught in red tape
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: