Volume 6 Issue 9 - October 15, 2009
Signs of changing times
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Television viewers in India got a taste of a different kind of programming recently in ‘Dus Ka Dum’ and ‘C.I.D.’, two popular shows on Sony Entertainment Television. While ‘Dus Ka Dum’, a game show hosted by Bollywood star Salman Khan had youth with hearing impairment as guests on the show, C.I.D.’s storyline had a hearing impaired girl who communicates to the investigators in Sign Language about a crime.
In ‘Dus Ka Dum’, there was a Sign Language interpreter for signing the questions. The guests were from D.E.E.D.S., an acronym for Development, Education, Empowerment of the Disadvantaged in Society, an organisation that works for hearing impaired people. Khan had earlier endorsed their short film and had organised a sale of his paintings, the proceeds of which went to D.E.E.D.S.
According to D.E.E.D.S., among the different disabilities, the problems of people with hearing impairment are the most neglected. There are over 1.2 million N.G.O.s in India working in diverse fields but unfortunately not even 0.1 per cent of these support the cause of people with hearing impairment. Perhaps this is because hearing impairment is a disability that is not immediately discernible, feels DEEDS.
Both the shows helped highlight the importance of Sign Language, which unfortunately is not a recognised language in India, a long standing demand of people with hearing impairment.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Everyone who needs support should be included in the National Trust Act”: Poonam Natarajan
- “Mental illness is not a disability, it is a disease”: J.P. Gadkari
- Barrier free Delhi - Ministry more keen on a quick fix
- Finally, Chandigarh Administration comes around
- M.S.J.E. continues to drag its feet on web access
- N.A.D. decries non - implementation of XIth Plan
- West Bengal leads in employing disabled people under N.R.E.G.A.
- Access Audit of Election Booths
- Third time around, hearing impaired Maniram makes it to I.A.S.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. in three more Indian languages
- Call for papers for Techshare India 2010 announced
- Signs of changing times
- Demand for accessible hotel rooms on the rise
- Registration of special category vehicles caught in red tape
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: