Volume 7 Issue 9 - May 01, 2010
West Zone unanimous too, calls for a ‘New Law’!
Consultation on New Law in progress
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The West Zone Consultation which also marked the final leg of the Zonal Consultation series came to a close, with leaders of the disability sector strongly asserting the need for a brand new law based on U.N.C.R.P.D. Just as it had been in the three previous consultations held in Delhi, Guwahati and Chennai, the verdict here too was unanimous and in favour of a comprehensive new law with strong implementation mechanisms.
The consultation at Mumbai on April 24 and 25 was organised by the National Association of the Blind (N.A.B.) – India, in association with National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.).
K. Ramkrishna addressing the Consultation
Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P. in his session on ‘New Law versus Amendments’ explained the merits of going in for a new law based on U.N.C.R.P.D. rather than patchwork amendments. He also explained at length about N.C.P.E.D.P.’s endeavour in taking the new law debate across the country and to hear the true voice of the leaders of the sector.
The two day meet saw a full house during which leaders from across disabilities discussed, debated and thrashed out issues in six sessions viz New Law versus Amendments, Definition of Disability, Accountability, Legal Capacity, One Law versus Four Laws and Open House.
During the meet, Abidi also took the opportunity to address the West Zone leaders on Census 2011 and explained why this exercise was so important for the disability sector.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Census 2011 and Disability – Mithu Alur’s publicity stunt enrages the disability sector
- Moment of reckoning - New Law versus Amendments
- West Zone too roots for a new law!
- No matter how many amendments we make, existing law cannot match U.N.C.R.P.D. expectations!
- “Neither me nor Justice Chapalgaonkar were involved in drafting the Mental Health Act Amendments,” Justice A.P. Shah
- Amendments to Right to Education Act tabled in Rajya Sabha
- South Zone unanimously supports ‘New Law’
- West Zone unanimous too, calls for a ‘New Law’!
- National Policy on Electronic Accessibility put up in the public domain
- Ministry of Information Technology makes it’s website accessible
- Urban Development Sub Group on access guidelines likely to miss deadline
- U.N.C.R.P.D. available in Marathi
- Disability sector opposes proposed amendments to Copyright Act, 1957
- Led by Brinda Karat, thousands protest at Parliament Street
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: