Volume 7 Issue 9 - May 01, 2010
Amendments to Right to Education Act tabled in Rajya Sabha
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Finally, the Bill for Amendments to the Right to Education Act has been tabled in the Rajya Sabha. These amendments will ensure that disability is not left out from the ambit of the legislation. The definition of disability will now cover all disabilities as given in the Disability Act of 1995 and the National Trust Act of 1999. The amendments would also ensure that children with disabilities would be covered under the ‘disadvantaged group’.
It may be noted that the disability sector was in uproar when the Right to Education Bill was tabled in the Parliament last year. There were two major points of contention:
- Where the Act defined 'disadvantaged children', it talked about SC/ST children and other minority groups, but it had no word at all about children with disabilities.
- Where the Act defined 'disability', it took the meaning as given only in the Disability Act, 1995. This Act covers people with physical disabilities only. For this very reason, the National Trust Act was enacted in 1999 which covers Autism, Cerebral Palsy and Multiple Disabilities.
It was only after the personal intervention of Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh that the Bill was tabled and passed in the Parliament with a firm promise to bring in early amendments to address these issues.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Census 2011 and Disability – Mithu Alur’s publicity stunt enrages the disability sector
- Moment of reckoning - New Law versus Amendments
- West Zone too roots for a new law!
- No matter how many amendments we make, existing law cannot match U.N.C.R.P.D. expectations!
- “Neither me nor Justice Chapalgaonkar were involved in drafting the Mental Health Act Amendments,” Justice A.P. Shah
- Amendments to Right to Education Act tabled in Rajya Sabha
- South Zone unanimously supports ‘New Law’
- West Zone unanimous too, calls for a ‘New Law’!
- National Policy on Electronic Accessibility put up in the public domain
- Ministry of Information Technology makes it’s website accessible
- Urban Development Sub Group on access guidelines likely to miss deadline
- U.N.C.R.P.D. available in Marathi
- Disability sector opposes proposed amendments to Copyright Act, 1957
- Led by Brinda Karat, thousands protest at Parliament Street
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: