Volume 8 Issue 9 - December 01, 2011
Disability sector submits Stakeholder’s Report for India’s U.P.R.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In the run up to the second Universal Periodic Review (U.P.R.) of India due in May 2012, the disability sector, for the first time, has submitted its own Stakeholder’s Report to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (O.H.C.H.R.). This Report has been prepared by the National Disability Network (N.D.N). Twenty two organisations from across the country participated in the preparation of the Report.
Some of the highlights of the Report are with regard to full and effective participation of disabled people’s organisations (D.P.O.s) and persons with disabilities in decision and policy making, implementation and monitoring of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.); ensuring that existing human rights mechanisms are inclusive of persons with disabilities; amending of domestic laws to bring them in line with the C.R.P.D. and designating a Focal Point for monitoring the Convention. Ensuring accessibility, inclusive education and recognition of Sign Language as an official language and including it in Schedule 8 of the Constitution are points that have been discussed at length.
The Report also made a strong case for ensuring legal capacity to all persons with disabilities, pointing out that at present over a hundred civil laws in the country, including the Constitution, deprive persons of “unsound” mind of their civil and political rights. It has been recommended that all such discriminatory legal provisions be abolished.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability sector submits Stakeholder’s Report for India’s U.P.R.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. Committee gets an added week to meet every year
- International forum on ratification and implementation of C.R.P.D. in Asia and the Pacific held in Korea
- Five years gone, no review on National Policy for Persons with Disabilities yet
- Visually impaired candidates discriminated by U.P.S.C., meet P.M.
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee on I.S.L.R.T.C. holds its first meeting
- Delhi High Court directs Centre to appoint Sign Language interpreters in offices
- Sanchi: First heritage site in India to be accessible to people with visual impairment
- P.I.L. filed to integrate children with mental disabilities in mainstream education
- N.H.F.D.C. announces 1,500 scholarships for persons with disabilities
- Joint effort by Wadhwani Foundation and TeamLease – I.I.J.T. to empower persons with disabilities
- T.R.R.A.I.N. to make persons with disabilities part of the retail boom
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: