Volume 8 Issue 9 - December 01, 2011
Five years gone, no review on National Policy for Persons with Disabilities yet
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The National Policy for Persons with Disabilities, framed in 2006, seems to have gone into oblivion. The lack of implementation of the Policy would certainly suggest so! Besides taking other measures to ensure greater participation of persons with disabilities in public life, the Policy lays down the rule that every five years a comprehensive review will be done on the implementation of the National Policy and that a document indicating status of implementation and a roadmap for five years shall be prepared based on the deliberations at a national level convention. It further says that State Governments and Union Territory administrations will also be urged to take steps for drawing up State Policies and developing action plans.
This however seems very distant indeed, as Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.), which is supposed to be the nodal Ministry to coordinate all matters relating to the implementation of the Policy, has drawn a blank on bringing out the comprehensive report and there seem to be no sign of any review of the Policy. With the kind of track record that M.S.J.E. has, it is not a surprise that they have been caught napping yet again!
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability sector submits Stakeholder’s Report for India’s U.P.R.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. Committee gets an added week to meet every year
- International forum on ratification and implementation of C.R.P.D. in Asia and the Pacific held in Korea
- Five years gone, no review on National Policy for Persons with Disabilities yet
- Visually impaired candidates discriminated by U.P.S.C., meet P.M.
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee on I.S.L.R.T.C. holds its first meeting
- Delhi High Court directs Centre to appoint Sign Language interpreters in offices
- Sanchi: First heritage site in India to be accessible to people with visual impairment
- P.I.L. filed to integrate children with mental disabilities in mainstream education
- N.H.F.D.C. announces 1,500 scholarships for persons with disabilities
- Joint effort by Wadhwani Foundation and TeamLease – I.I.J.T. to empower persons with disabilities
- T.R.R.A.I.N. to make persons with disabilities part of the retail boom
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: