Volume 8 Issue 9 - December 01, 2011
Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee on I.S.L.R.T.C. holds its first meeting
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Nearly two months after the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) inaugurated the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (I.S.L.R.T.C.) at the Indira Gandhi National Open University (I.G.N.O.U.) campus, the Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee held its first meeting on November 24, 2011.
The meeting was Chaired by K.M. Acharya, Secretary, M.S.J.E. Members included the Joint Secretary and Under Secretary of M.S.J.E.; Prof. M. Aslam, Acting Vice Chancellor of I.G.N.O.U.; Zorin Singha, President, National Association of the Deaf; Dr. Onkar Sharma, General Secretary, All India Federation of the Deaf; K. Murali, Director, Deaf Leaders; Uma Kapoor, National Foundation of the Deaf Women and Prof. R. Rangasayee, Director, Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (A.Y.J.N.I.H.H.).
According to sources, the meeting started off on a slightly shaky note with Prof. Aslam admitting that he did not know much about I.S.L.R.T.C. and I.G.N.O.U.’s role in its functioning.
The Chair invited comments from members of the deaf organisations, which were duly noted. An outcome of this feedback was that Acharya directed the Joint Secretary of M.S.J.E. to write to Ministry of Human Resource Development, National Council for Teacher Education (N.C.T.E.) and University Grants Commission (U.G.C.) to add Sign Language as one of the optional languages in their syllabus.
Prof. Rangasayee pointed out that a course on Sign Language has to be recognised by the Rehabilitation Council of India (R.C.I.) and it was decided that the Chairman of R.C.I. and N.C.T.E. should be invited for the next meeting. It was also decided that the first course can be started by early January 2012, which would be something simple like learning Sign Language. Regular research based courses would start by July 2012.
Regarding the I.S.L.R.T.C. building, Acharya mentioned that they had consultations all over India about how the building should be and the minutes are available on the M.S.J.E. website.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability sector submits Stakeholder’s Report for India’s U.P.R.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. Committee gets an added week to meet every year
- International forum on ratification and implementation of C.R.P.D. in Asia and the Pacific held in Korea
- Five years gone, no review on National Policy for Persons with Disabilities yet
- Visually impaired candidates discriminated by U.P.S.C., meet P.M.
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee on I.S.L.R.T.C. holds its first meeting
- Delhi High Court directs Centre to appoint Sign Language interpreters in offices
- Sanchi: First heritage site in India to be accessible to people with visual impairment
- P.I.L. filed to integrate children with mental disabilities in mainstream education
- N.H.F.D.C. announces 1,500 scholarships for persons with disabilities
- Joint effort by Wadhwani Foundation and TeamLease – I.I.J.T. to empower persons with disabilities
- T.R.R.A.I.N. to make persons with disabilities part of the retail boom
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: