Volume 8 Issue 9 - December 01, 2011
T.R.R.A.I.N. to make persons with disabilities part of the retail boom
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Trust for Retailers and Retail Associates of India (T.R.R.A.I.N.), set up as a charitable trust, along with various stakeholders, plans to start short-term courses to hone the skills of persons with disabilities and make them a part of the retail growth in the country. It has tied up with Aptech Ltd. to provide support for the short-term training modules, so that the retail industry can play an active role in absorbing persons with disabilities.
India’s retail industry is worth more than U.S.D. 590 billion and employs about 33 million people, making it the second largest employer after agriculture. According to T.R.R.A.I.N.’s assessment, out of the 101 odd roles in the retail sector, 37 are suitable for persons with different disabilities and their aim is to tap this potential. A small group of people have already begun to be inducted by several large retail chains such as HyperCity, Reliance Digital, McDonalds and Subway.
T.R.R.A.I.N. has also initiated a training and education programme in collaboration with Centre for Persons with Disability Livelihoods (C.P.D.L.) and plans to scale this up for other markets in future.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability sector submits Stakeholder’s Report for India’s U.P.R.
- U.N.C.R.P.D. Committee gets an added week to meet every year
- International forum on ratification and implementation of C.R.P.D. in Asia and the Pacific held in Korea
- Five years gone, no review on National Policy for Persons with Disabilities yet
- Visually impaired candidates discriminated by U.P.S.C., meet P.M.
- Coordination-cum-Monitoring Committee on I.S.L.R.T.C. holds its first meeting
- Delhi High Court directs Centre to appoint Sign Language interpreters in offices
- Sanchi: First heritage site in India to be accessible to people with visual impairment
- P.I.L. filed to integrate children with mental disabilities in mainstream education
- N.H.F.D.C. announces 1,500 scholarships for persons with disabilities
- Joint effort by Wadhwani Foundation and TeamLease – I.I.J.T. to empower persons with disabilities
- T.R.R.A.I.N. to make persons with disabilities part of the retail boom
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: