Volume 9 Issue 9 - July 15, 2012
U.N. comes out with report to strengthen treaty body systemD.N.I.S. News Network, India: United Nations High Commission for Human Rights has come out with a report to strengthen the treaty body system. This follows a process that started in 2009 aimed at bringing about gradual improvement and harmonisation of working methods of the treaty bodies and Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (O.H.C.H.R.), and identifying what would constitute the necessary resources to support the work of the treaty bodies adequately and cost-effectively.
Over the years, the functioning of the treaty bodies has come under severe criticism mainly because of the backlog of reports awaiting reviews. Currently only 16 percent of State parties report on time; and even with this low compliance rate, four out of nine treaty bodies with a reporting procedure are facing significant and increasing backlog of reports awaiting consideration. Several regularly make requests to the General Assembly for additional meeting time.
As of now, Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) Committee has 50 initial reports overdue, and States wait seven years to be reviewed.
The C.R.P.D. Committee so far only had resources to meet for 2 weeks a year. Recently, they have been allowed another week. Even with the added week, it would soon have a ten-year backlog . This would adversely impact the faith of the disability movement globally on the effectiveness of the process, many of whom are involved in preparing Alternate Reports on C.R.P.D. implementation in their countries.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Winners of 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P. - MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 announced
- I.I.T. alleges certifying hospital not competent, Delhi High Court asks for proof
- Person with disability tops Maharashtra Public Service exam
- Presidential candidate makes derogatory remarks on disability
- Disability pension not for injuries off-duty, says Supreme Court
- Still no special educators in Delhi municipal schools
- U.N. comes out with report to strengthen treaty body system
- D.U. and J.N.U. get M.S.J.E. funds to make their campus disabled-friendly
- London Games to be the ‚Äėmost disabled-friendly‚Äô, claims U.K.
- Delhi courts to fast track pending cases involving disabled and elderly people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: