Volume 4 Issue 1 - January 01, 2006
Air Deccan to charge additional Rs. 500 from passengers using wheelchair
D.N.I.S. News Network- In a discriminatory policy move, Air Deccan has announced an additional charge of Rs. 500 for passengers using wheelchairs while fixing a ceiling of four wheelchair users per flight.
The change in service policy, posted on Air Deccan website, means that any additional passengers with wheelchairs would be denied entry simply on grounds of being orthopaedically disabled. The company notice says: “Only four wheelchair passengers will be accepted per flight…and Air Deccan reserves the right to deny wheelchairs to passengers if not requested in advance.”
These changes by the Bangalore-based no-frills flight service come as a shock at a time when globally, airlines and airports have been providing special services for disabled passengers.
India in general has extremely poor travel facilities when it comes to the needs of disabled people and such a discriminatory policy will only add to the humiliation that a disabled person has to face while traveling.
In an ironic contrast, on the same day (15 December), European Parliament adopted a new regulation allowing disabled air passengers to travel with comfort and dignity around the European Union. The new rule states that airports are solely responsible for assisting disabled people. Earlier, the responsibility was split between airlines and airports. It will now be illegal to refuse booking or boarding to a disabled passenger.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poonam Natarajan appointed National Trust Chairperson
- National Disability Policy approved by Union Cabinet
- W.D.D. celeberations by N.D.N. partners in Jharkhand, Sikkim & Goa
- Heart patients not entitled to benefits under Disabilities Act: HC
- Disaster Management Bill passed sans disability component
- Air Deccan to charge additional Rs. 500 from passengers using wheelchair
- Deaf Cricket Association demands affiliation with B.C.C.I.
- Neglect & stigma causing exclusion of children with disabilities: UNICEF
- Dementia likely to double every 20 years world-wide, developing countries to be worst hit
- Sharon, the worldâ€™s best blind golfer
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: