Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
Railways to recruit disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Four years after the All India Confederation of the Blind, filed a P.I.L. in Delhi High Court requesting it to direct the countryís largest employer, Indian Railways, to comply with the Disabilities Act, it has finally relented.
In an affidavit submitted by them in the Delhi High Court, the Railways have given a ďtentative time frame for finalising special recruitment drive" to fill up backlog vacancies of physically disabled persons in group C and D posts along with the top most group A.
There will be a special recruitment drive spanning over 19 months to fill up 4,254 backlog vacancies for disabled persons as per requirements of the Persons with Disabilities Act 1995.
The affidavit also mentions that it will fill up the backlog vacancies in the non-technical posts of Indian Railway Personnel Service and Indian Railway Accounts Service with 50 per cent seats being filled up this year and the rest in the next year.
The Disabilities Act states that 3 percent of the vacancies should be kept for physically disabled people. But more often than not, hardly 1 percent is filled up. This move will stand to benefit thousands of disabled people aspiring to work with the Railways.
It may be mentioned that the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) had earlier issued an order in 2006 asking for the backlog for disabled people in all government jobs from 1996 onwards, to be filled up by 2008.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India‚Äôs first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ‚ÄėTrain‚Äô of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: