Volume 8 Issue 1 - January 01, 2011
Another glaring episode of blatant discrimination in the Civil ServicesD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Once again, the ambitions of two visually impaired persons got buried in the files of the Government of India. Both had qualified the Civil Services Examination in 2009 and were awarded services well below their rankings.
30 year old, Ajit Kumar, an O.B.C., is an Assistant Professor in Delhi University. He got rank 208 and was offered the Indian Railway Personnel Service. Kumar declined. “I.R.P.S. was given to those as low down as rank 512. At my rank for an O.B.C. candidate, I was eligible for the Indian Foreign Service,” said Kumar.
Ashish Singh Thakur, who got rank 435 was offered the Indian Postal Service. “Candidates below my rank were awarded the Indian Revenue Service,” he stated. Thakur has reluctantly taken up the offer and is currently undergoing training in Bilaspur.
Both had approached the Central Administrative Tribunal (C.A.T.) for the redressal of their grievance. C.A.T. directed the Union Government to induct the duo in the Indian Administrative Service (I.A.S.) “within 8 weeks” citing a July, 2010 order that directs the Government to fulfill the backlog for disabled candidates in Civil Services, particularly visually impaired candidates in I.A.S. The Court had pointed out that in the 1995 to 2006 period, only one I.A.S. vacancy was filled for visually impaired people as against the eight seats.
C.A.T.’s deadline of eight weeks to the Government ran out on December 8, 2010.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śCertain vested interests are spreading the rumour that I am demanding abolition of the National Trust,â€ť Javed Abidi
- D.R.G. members protest outside Wasnikâ€™s residence
- Consultation on U.N.C.R.P.D., draft Mental Health Care Act and the draft new Disability Act held
- Another glaring episode of blatant discrimination in the Civil Services
- M.S.J.E. embarrassed on employment data once again!
- India strikes Gold in Para Asian Games
- P.C.I. holidays at Guangzhou
- Paralympic athlete left stranded at Delhi airport
- Awareness about Disability Law dismal
- R.T.E. impact: Rajasthan sets up resource centres for disabled children
- Army dedicates 2011 to its disabled personnel
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: