Volume 2 Issue 10 - May 15, 2004
Bus shelters designed with the disabled in mind
DNIS News Network -- Travel woes within Delhi should be eased with the planned introduction of new style bus shelters in the city.
The city currently has approximately 2,200 bus shelters, which are on the whole decidedly disabled-unfriendly with high steps and no ramps. The Delhi Transport Corporation has announced plans to replace 500 of these older shelters with new disabled-friendly designs, and to add another 700 shelters in new locations.
And the promise is more than just pie in the sky, as the first new shelter has already been sited at Jama Masjid.
Now all that is needed is for the bus drivers and conductors to take more consideration of the needs of disabled and elderly passengers when they are boarding and alighting from vehicles.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- IAS winner awaits his job
- Disability highlighted in education survey
- Scholarship scheme goes from strength to strength
- Independents launch joint campaign for good governance
- Delhi University makes disabled students undergo medical examination
- Delhi authorities claim to ramp up access issue
- Election Commission fails to fulfil SC order
- World Thalassaemia Day observed
- Bus shelters designed with the disabled in mind
- Voters choose to play safe with big parties
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: