Volume 7 Issue 10 - May 15, 2010
Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Just when it looked like the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) was finally making the right moves, it stumbled yet again. On one hand, it formed a Committee to draft a new Disability Act in line with U.N.C.R.P.D. On the other hand, it violated the basic tenet of the Convention that of letting disabled people take their own decisions. The 27 member Committee includes ONLY 3 people with disabilities. This, for once, has left the entire Indian disability sector disappointed and anxious.
We are greatly pained to find that the experts and N.G.O.s nominated to the Committee constitute a very small, almost negligible segment of the actual user groups, said A.K. Mittal, President, All India Confederation of the Blind.
B.P.A., Ahmedabad and H.R.L.N., Delhi are not organizations of the blind. Only three N.G.O.s of the blind from India are recognized by the World Blind Union as national N.G.O.s, yet none of these organizations is given representation in the new Committee, he added. J.P. Gadkari of Parivaar also expressed disappointment at the choice of members. The members of the Executive Council of Parivaar are concerned over the non-inclusion of any representative of parents associations / organisations of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, he said.
Rajiv Rajan of Disability Law Unit South has shot off a letter to the Prime Minister expressing their displeasure.
This under representation of disabled people in the Committee completely flouts the spirit Nothing about us without us of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, he said.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âAwareness that disabled persons are not handicapped, and can perform just as well as anyone else has to grow in society,â Mehul Choksi
- M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.âs demand for a new law!
- Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
- First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
- Census 2011: Guidelines for Enumerators on the question on disability
- Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
- New Access Guidelines likely to be adopted as standards by B.I.S.
- I.L.O. to develop Global Business and Disability Network
- 30 disabled students clear U.P.S.C. exam
- Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
- All historical monuments in the country to be made disabled friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: