Volume 3 Issue 12 - June 15, 2005
Zonal meet on proposed Integrated Education Scheme for Children, Youth with Disabilities
DNIS New Network - In a bid to forge a roadmap, and seek opinions from across the spectrum, for the implementation of a comprehensive statement by Minister for Human Resource Development Arjun Singh in Parliament, a regional consultative meeting will be held in Mumbai 25 June.
The meeting is being organised by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) in association with National Society for Equal Opportunities for the Handicapped (N.A.S.E.O.H).
The idea behind the meeting is to bring together stakeholders and experts for inputs to fine-tune the provisions of the scheme, and also to discuss and come up with ways for implementation of the proposed Integrated Education Scheme for Children and Youth with Disabilities (I.E.C.Y.D.).
The meeting in Mumbai will cover the west zone, and following this, two meetings will be held - one in Chennai, in association with the Vidya Sagar on 7 July 2005, and the second in Kolkata for which the date has not yet been finalised. The broad findings of these zone-level meetings will culminate in a national seminar that will be hosted in the national capital.
On 21 March 2005, Arjun Singh had announced that the government would provide education for children with disabilities through mainstream schools, in accordance with the provisions of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995.
Some of the main objectives of the action plan are:
No child be denied admission in mainstream education; no child be turned back on grounds of disability; mainstream and specialised training institutions; facilitating the growth of a cadre of teachers trained to work with the principles of inclusion; facilitating access of girls with disabilities and disabled students from rural and remote to government hostels; providing home-based learning for persons with severe, multiple and intellectual disability; emphasises on job training and job-oriented vocational training.
Promoting an understanding of the paradigm shift from charity to development through a massive awareness, motivating and sensitising; modifying existing physical infrastructure and teaching methodologies to meet the needs of all children including children with special needs; all universities to have a Disability Coordinator to act as a ‘one-stop shop’ to assist disabled students in their needs; all universities to be assisted by University Grants Commission (U.G.C.) in setting up a separate Department of Disability Studies including modules of inclusion; a Chair of Disability Studies to be set up in Central Universities; universities to be encouraged to introduce Special Shuttle Services for disabled students.
For more information, read the following stories:
- Feature: ‘Inclusive education: A vision come true?’
- News: ‘Arjun Singh plans to introduce bill for education of disabled children’
- Feature: ‘Campaign for inclusive education launched’
- News: ‘Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities’
- News: ‘NCPEDP celebrates Independence Day with the launch of its inclusive education campaign’
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- M.C.D moots draft for changes in building byelaws; no mention of access for persons with disability
- Zonal meet on proposed Integrated Education Scheme for Children, Youth with Disabilities
- Education Community Workshop by UNESCO for Universal Education
- Dystrophy-afflicted siblings tired of waiting; seek Presidentâ€™s permission to end their lives
- NTPC calls for projects for self-employment of persons with disabilities
- South Korea moves towards Disability Discrimination Acts
- Awareness about leprosy minimal in Delhi: Study
- Dwarf people face bulls and death in Mexico
- Pioneering news service on Indiaâ€™s disability sector holds annual review meeting
- Achievements of Indiaâ€™s disabled people on show in New York apparel expo
- Iodine deficiency leading cause of mental retardation: Study
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: