Volume 4 Issue 12 - June 15, 2006
D.U. colleges to make campus disabled-friendly
D.N.I.S. News Network In a positive development, Sri Ram College of Commerce (S.R.C.C.) will make special efforts to have a disabled-friendly campus, including special railings and rail platforms. The hostel rooms and college canteen would also be revamped.
The college authorities state that they will ensure the easy
movement of students in classrooms as well as restrooms. They claim that they
have followed the same architectural design as the
On another front, Lady Sri Ram College (L.S.R.) has decided to make things easier for visually disabled students by installing special software on dedicated computers in the library. Most colleges do not provide enough support to visually disabled students in terms of academic material in Braille. L.S.R. would become the second college in D.U. to extend the benefit of JAWS to its students.
JAWS is a software that translates words being typed on a computer into audible output. St. Stephens has been the only college in D.U. to provide this facility so far. L.S.R. plans to get both Hindi and English versions of the software to enable students of any discipline to study independently.
Hope all other D.U. colleges follow these examples to enable disabled students to undertake their studies in these colleges. And it is only their right to do so!
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âOur mission is to provide year round sports to all children with intellectual disabilitiesâ: Keelor
- New State Policy for disabled in Goa â first in the country
- Accessible accommodation denied in Symbiosis Law College; Nightmare continues for Pooja Sharma
- C.B.S.E. results project grim picture of education for disabled in India
- Drastic drop in number of disabled students; D.U. to blame?
- Centre tells U.P., Bihar to shoulder blame for rising polio cases
- A.S.I. announces special vehicle, entrance into Taj for physically disabled tourists
- In a new initiative I.T.C.-Welcomgroup employs disabled people
- Disabled children to counter âpaper chasingâ in University of Madras
- D.U. colleges to make campus disabled-friendly
- Nehru Park to be first ever disabled-friendly park in Delhi
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: