Volume 4 Issue 13 - July 01, 2006
Loopholes in the proposed Delhi Building Bylaws
D.N.I.S. News Network ľ The New Delhi Building Bylaws are at present under public review and Svayam, a Corporate Social Responsibility initiative of the Jindal group aimed to promote self reliance amongst people with disabilities, has found that the bylaws are faulty, with numerous loopholes pertaining to accessibility.
Accessibility has been incorporated in the Bylaws and it clearly states that ôAll buildings shall provide adequate access to persons with disabilities.ö But there are genuine concerns regarding certain points that are contradictory in the document.
The three major points in the Accessibility clause of the proposed Bylaws are:
1. Enabling access for disabled people shall conform to the standards published by the Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (C.C.P.D.), Government of India, in a manner that the architect deems necessary.
Concern: The Office of the C.C.P.D. does not have any such standards.
2. Accessibility Report prepared by the architect shall be submitted along with the application for building permit using the format to be determined by the Office of the C.C.P.D.
Concern: The Office of the C.C.P.D. does not have any such format.
3. The Office of the C.C.P.D. is expected to certify the architects competent to make the Accessibility Report.
Concern: The role of the Office of the C.C.P.D. is to look into matters relating to implementation of the Disability Act, 1995, and not to certify architects for their eligibility.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- M.S.J.E. comes up with its own proposal for amendments to the Disability Act!
- Government to rehabilitate polio victims; Rs. 1,039 crore earmarked for polio eradication
- Grant provisional admission to disabled student: Delhi High Court tells D.U.
- National Institute for Persons with Multiple Disabilities in Tamil Nadu
- Delhi Government increases ex-gratia payment for war disabled soldiers
- Loopholes in the proposed Delhi Building Bylaws
- 200 high-capacity buses to hit Delhi roads in next six months
- Specially designed bus shelters in the offing
- New devices for visually impaired launched
- ÔÇśDisabledÔÇÖ fans ejected from stadium
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: