Volume 3 Issue 15 - August 01, 2005
National Disaster Management Authority constituted under Chairmanship of Prime Minister
D.N.I.S. News Network - A five-member National Disaster Management Authority (N.D.M.A.) has been constituted by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to lay down policies and plans for disaster management.
The N.D.M.A., which was announced on 14 July, will approve the National Disaster Management Plan. It would lay down guidelines for Ministries and Departments of the Central Government and any State authority in drawing up the State plan, an official release stated.
The Prime Minister will be the Chairman of the Authority. Other Members include former Army Chief Gen. N. C. Vij, who will be the Deputy Chairman; former Indian Institute of Technology Bombay Director and retired Chairman of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board Prof. S. P. Sukhatme; former Director-General of Central Industrial Security Force, K.M. Singh; and the former Andhra Pradesh Minister for Environment, M. Sashidhar Reddy.
The N.D.M.A. will also coordinate the enforcement and implementation of the policies and plans for disaster management and arrange for and oversee the provision of funds for mitigation measures, preparedness and response. It may also take such measures for prevention of disaster, mitigation of its effects, or for preparedness and capacity building for dealing with a threatening disaster situation.
The disability sector has been demanding a special focus on the severe impact that disasters have on people with disabilities. The issue came to the fore during the recent Tsunami, after National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People in association with DPI-India and Chennai-based Vidya Sagar carried out a campaign to get disability included in the rehabilitation of Tsunami victims. The sector has to be alert to ensure that disability issues are duly addressed in the policies and plans for disaster management.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disablility Sector flays Draft National Policy for flouting international conventions
- C.A.B.E. meeting offers great hopes for Inclusive Education for children and youth with disabilities
- Involve disability expert in planning, design, implementation of Delhi Master Plan: Sheila Dikshit
- Order issued by Andhra Government to include person with Dwarfism as Orthopaedic Disability
- War disabled pensioners to get free medical care
- Shocker for Disability Sector, â€śHandicapped Universityâ€ť comes up in U.P. with Stateâ€™s blessing
- National Disaster Management Authority constituted under Chairmanship of Prime Minister
- Northern Railway announces plan to make 40 stations accessible
- Final Draft for M.C.D. Building Byelaws to be made public for inviting suggestions
- S.C. issues notice to Union, State Governments on safety, access for visually impaired
- Delhi Gurudwaras go disabled-friendly
- Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir using people with learning disabilities for planting explosives
- Mental disabilities still attributed to curse or evil spell in Nagaland: Survey
- Bombay High Court drubs Goa Government over non-implementation of Disability Act
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: