Volume 3 Issue 15 - August 01, 2005
Mental disabilities still attributed to curse or evil spell in Nagaland: Survey
D.N.I.S. News Network - Mental disability is seen as being caused by a curse or an evil spell by a substantial section of people in the north-eastern State of Nagaland, according to an Action Aid funded study made public at a recent function in the State capital Kohima.
The survey, which covered 52 villages, found that about 35 percent respondents believed that disabilities were caused by “curses”.
The figures are astonishing and reveal that such beliefs may land a person with mental disabilities into the hands of local healers who resort to unscientific and often barbaric methods of treatment.
A participatory Pilot Study Report entitled “Unearthing Disability in the State of Nagaland”, proved to be an eye-opener for the State Government as well as the people. Governor Shyamal Datta released the Report at the Raj Bhavan in the presence of Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio.
Surveyors found 468 people with disabilities in 26 large villages, and 191 in 26 small villages surveyed. Similar surveys have been conducted in Meghalaya and Tripura too.
ActionAid Regional Manager P. K. Pincha said disability is a human rights issue but the conventional definition is “too medical-oriented”. “Bureaucrats need to be sensitised first, while persons with disabilities and primary stakeholders, such as their parents, should organise and carry forward the struggle for their rights,” he added.
he Governor said there were discrepancies in the Centre’s data as well. He pointed out that figures of the Census and the National Sample Survey did not match.
Last year, Nagaland had issued a notification reserving five per cent government jobs for people with disabilities.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disablility Sector flays Draft National Policy for flouting international conventions
- C.A.B.E. meeting offers great hopes for Inclusive Education for children and youth with disabilities
- Involve disability expert in planning, design, implementation of Delhi Master Plan: Sheila Dikshit
- Order issued by Andhra Government to include person with Dwarfism as Orthopaedic Disability
- War disabled pensioners to get free medical care
- Shocker for Disability Sector, â€śHandicapped Universityâ€ť comes up in U.P. with Stateâ€™s blessing
- National Disaster Management Authority constituted under Chairmanship of Prime Minister
- Northern Railway announces plan to make 40 stations accessible
- Final Draft for M.C.D. Building Byelaws to be made public for inviting suggestions
- S.C. issues notice to Union, State Governments on safety, access for visually impaired
- Delhi Gurudwaras go disabled-friendly
- Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir using people with learning disabilities for planting explosives
- Mental disabilities still attributed to curse or evil spell in Nagaland: Survey
- Bombay High Court drubs Goa Government over non-implementation of Disability Act
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: