Volume 3 Issue 15 - August 01, 2005
Involve disability expert in planning, design, implementation of Delhi Master Plan: Sheila Dikshit
D.N.I.S. News Network – In a boost to the disability sector’s demand to make access an integral part of the Delhi Master Plan, Delhi’s Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has supported the idea of taking on board an expert on disability access for planning, design and implementation of the Master Plan.
The Delhi Government has responded positively to recommendations by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) regarding the proposed modifications to the Master Plan for Delhi.
Not only has Sheila Dikshit supported these recommendations, she has also promised to forward the recommendations to Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad, Union Minister for Urban Development, for action.
N.C.P.E.D.P., in its recommendations sent on 7 July 2005, had stressed that the Master Plan should address disability in a more specific and technical way in all aspects of the Plan, and that a disability expert on access must be involved at every stage of planning, design and implementation of the Master Plan.
It had stated that Section 11.6.1 under the Urban Design Section (page 333) should mention that street furniture and signage would be made disabled friendly as provided in the National Building Code; and Section 12.15 on Barrier Free Environment under Transportation should include the following amendments:
Concede Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act 1995, where the issue has been addressed in greater detail and ensure its implementation; Concept of Universal Design should be adopted for all public spaces, built or open, to cater to the needs of the non disabled and disabled people, young and old.
The different categories of disability that need to be addressed include Blindness, Low vision, Leprosy cured, Hearing impairment, locomotor disability, Mental retardation and Mental illness. The Master Plan should specify a time bound schedule for making existing buildings and spaces in Delhi disabled friendly.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disablility Sector flays Draft National Policy for flouting international conventions
- C.A.B.E. meeting offers great hopes for Inclusive Education for children and youth with disabilities
- Disability leadership strongly criticises Draft National Policy
- Involve disability expert in planning, design, implementation of Delhi Master Plan: Sheila Dikshit
- Order issued by Andhra Government to include person with Dwarfism as Orthopaedic Disability
- War disabled pensioners to get free medical care
- Shocker for Disability Sector, â€śHandicapped Universityâ€ť comes up in U.P. with Stateâ€™s blessing
- National Disaster Management Authority constituted under Chairmanship of Prime Minister
- Northern Railway announces plan to make 40 stations accessible
- Final Draft for M.C.D. Building Byelaws to be made public for inviting suggestions
- S.C. issues notice to Union, State Governments on safety, access for visually impaired
- Delhi Gurudwaras go disabled-friendly
- Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir using people with learning disabilities for planting explosives
- Mental disabilities still attributed to curse or evil spell in Nagaland: Survey
- Bombay High Court drubs Goa Government over non-implementation of Disability Act
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: