Volume 2 Issue 16 - August 15, 2004
CAG says government not meeting targets for employment
DNIS News Network - Assessing the government's claims regarding measures adopted to improve the welfare of disabled people, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) slammed instances of poor management of funds, depriving disabled people of opportunities for economic rehabilitation.
In its report, CAG outlined poor implementation of the 3 per cent reservation for disabled people in government jobs and poverty alleviation schemes. It said the government had failed to achieve targets and that funds had not been put to good use.
CAG also found disproportionate allocation of funds within the state with reference to disabled people living in those states, "Delhi with 1.37 per cent handicapped [sic] got merely 11 per cent of the total release by the government."
Referring to an ambitious scheme to establish district disability rehabilitation centres, CAG said, "It is still on paper even after five years. The report indicates 132 centres in India, out of which only 45 are functional and 19 do not have specialised staff."
Pointing out the apathy of officials on the issue, CAG said the Central Coordination Committee and other similar committees set up to review implementation of the Persons with Disabilities Act had failed to meet and evaluate the impact of policies and programmes. "The shortfall in their meetings ranges between 43 to 100 per cent at the state level and 50 per cent at the union level," the report pointed out.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities
- Ministry told to refile dyslexia affidavit
- NCPEDP celebrates Independence Day with the launch of its inclusive education campaign
- 72 days of dharna; Government yet to take action
- Physically disabled boy fights for the right to study
- CAG says government not meeting targets for employment
- DNIS - the way forward
- DPI meeting discusses strategy
- Government to notify welfare schemes for the disabled students by October
- Incentives policy meeting organised
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: