Volume 2 Issue 17 - September 01, 2004
Disability Law Units convene in Delhi
DNIS News Network - Representatives of the three Disability Law Units, set up last year with help from National Centre for Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), met at Delhi's India International Centre on August 28.
Delegates had come together to review the past year's work and to discuss strategies for the coming year.
Shedding light on its work and achievements, representatives from DLU (South) revealed they had conducted sensitisation workshops for Chennai Municipal Corporation, Confederation of Indian Organisation of Social Service and Advocacy, and some firms of architects. Besides this it had audited public bus stands and found them inaccessible. Ms Poonam Natarajan said the group's efforts yielded results when the office of the Disability Commissioner was shifted from the first floor to ground floor. She further revealed that Indian Bank has agreed to make banks accessible. She also spoke about the legal aid cell that will start functioning from September 4.
Representatives from DLU (West) said it had conducted a survey on the Special Employment Cell, held sensitisation workshops and filed PILs. "We succeeded in getting a 3 per cent reservation for blind hawkers in railway contracts that are given to vendors in Mumbai," said Ms Deepika D'Souza.
DLU (North-east) highlighted its role in getting justice for a disabled student who had been denied admission to engineering college, despite clearing the entrance test. Mr Arman Ali revealed that the group has managed to get support from 32 lawyers across the region who are willing to takes cases on disability. Out of these 13 have agreed to do cases on pro bono basis.
Also present at the meeting were Mr Rajeev Rajan, Ms Ketaki Bardalai, Ms Inky Sen, Mr Javed Abidi, and Ms Rama Chari.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Rajiv Gandhi scholarship awards for disabled students
- 98.8% disabled students don't get higher education
- High Court sensitive to stuttering assistant
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan to serve education needs of disabled children
- Disability Law Units convene in Delhi
- A music album to raise money for disabled children
- Job opportunity for the physically disabled
- Aanchal to help mentally challenged children
- Referral units for disabled throughout the country
- Self-employment opportunities in Faridabad
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: