Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes onD.N.I.S. News Network, India: If nothing else, the Committee drafting the new disability law should be appreciated for their resilience! It is work as usual for them. Despite the resignations of 4 Members, three of whom are people with disabilities, the Committee went ahead with its meeting on January 2 and then on 13 and 14. Point to consider: the meeting on January 2 had barely 10 people in attendance out of the total 36 Members!
The Committee is now discussing the content of the chapters of the Working Draft prepared by the Legal Consultant. A timeframe was also decided. Accordingly, by February 2, the Committee will finish discussing the chapters. In an E-mail to the sector, the Chairperson of the Committee, Dr. Sudha Kaul stated that National and State level Consultations will be held in February through the State Disability Commissioners and State Nodal Agency Centres (S.N.A.C.s) of the National Trust. The working plan of the Consultations will be made by Dr. Bhushan Punani and Poonam Natarajan.
Meanwhile, the Committee did not discuss the reasons behind the 4 resignations, saying that it is for the Ministry to consider them.
Meanwhile, Mukul Wasnik, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, had meetings with a few members who had resigned. He discussed their grievances at length and asked them to reconsider their decision. In these meetings he also stated that he and the Ministry are yet to take a decision on going in for one comprehensive law or multiple laws. He said these were decisions to be taken after the Committee finishes its work.
D.N.I.S. has also learnt that the Minister is meeting several Delhi based disabled people and experts to learn about their views regarding the debate on one comprehensive law vis-ŗ-vis multiple laws.
The next meeting of the Committee will be on January 31, February 1 and 2.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- ‚ÄúThe law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers‚Äô interests,‚ÄĚ Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‚ÄėCensus 2011 & Disability‚Äô
- South Zone Consultation on ‚ÄėCensus 2011 & Disability‚Äô
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: