Volume 2 Issue 21 - November 01, 2004
Physical disability adds to woes of Kutch earthquake victims
DNIS Network News - An ICMR survey reveals that physical disability is one of the major causes for rising psychological disorders among Kutch quake victims.
A four-year project funded by the Indian Council of Medical Research to study the after-effects of the devastating earthquake that had hit the state of Gujarat in 2001 has revealed shocking results. According to the report, psychiatric illnesses are on the rise in Kutch district of Gujarat.
The survey, conducted by Institute of Human Behaviour Science, highlights physical
disability as one of the major causes for rising psychological disorders among
the quake victims. The report states that even three years and seven months
after the quake, people have still not come to terms with their loss.
"Normally, after a long period of three years, psychiatric illnesses are seen in around 15 per cent of any population hit by a major disaster. The study conducted in Kutch, however, reveals that 18-20 per cent of the population here suffer from various psychological disorders. This is alarming especially since the number of such patients is on the rise," said Dr Sanjiv Gupta, who worked as the Government psychiatrist on the project.
The field teams randomly surveyed 5,000 people from Bhuj and adjoining talukas. "We found several people suffering from mental disorders. The study revealed that they were affected by physical disability, loss of property, job and relatives. People still living in temporary shelters were the most affected," he added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Arjun Singh sets up working group
- Supreme Court issues notice on non-implementation of Section 43 of PWD Act
- NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Award winners for 2004 announced
- Ministry of Finance clarifies Income Tax issue
- Significant step in establishing dyslexia as 'disability'
- Vishwas: Self-employment opportunities in Rajasthan
- Indian disability films selected for Moscow film festival
- Indian traffic system inching towards disabled-friendliness
- Physical disability adds to woes of Kutch earthquake victims
- Conquering disability, conquering hearts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: