Volume 3 Issue 21 - November 01, 2005
Sikkim to get its first Disability Law Unit
D.N.I.S. News Network – A State-level Workshop on Disability and Law was held in Sikkim to sensitise disability organisations, activists and legal community to the rights of disabled people, during which a plan was mooted for the setting up of a Disability Law Unit at Spastics Society of Sikkim (S.S.S.).
The day-long Workshop was organised by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) in association with Disability Law Unit North East- Shishu Sarothi and S.S.S., Gangtok.
The Workshop began with a welcome speech by Dr. Bela Cintury, Director of Spastics Society of Sikkim. She called upon the legal fraternity to look at disability not as a charity issue but a subject of rights – a concept that has evolved as a result of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995.
Advocate General of Sikkim, S. P. Wangdi, who was the Chief Guest at the Inaugural Session stressed on taking the issue of disability seriously by legal fraternity. He said that he is himself embarrassed that due to his avocation he has not really focused on this issue as a rights issue. He said, "Dignity of human being is the most important of all human rights". While focusing on international rules and UN Conventions, he stressed on the need to create systems for social and economic inclusion of disabled people in Sikkim, especially in the wake of the Disability Act, 1995.
Anju Talukdar of D.L.U.-N.E. gave an overview of the various Acts and stressed on the responsibility of administrators, judiciary and bureaucracy in the implementation of the Disability Act. Ambika, Joint Secretary, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment chaired this session. Shri Arman Ali, Project Co-ordinator DLU-NE focused on inter-sectoral collaboration and gave a picture of the Status of implementation of the Disability Act in the North-East States.
Sikkim, a State with a population of 5, 40,000 people out of which 3.8 per cent is the figure of persons with disabilities (20,520 approx.). Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has been running various schemes of giving allowances to the persons with disabilities. However, rights of the disabled were a vague concept for the people.
The Workshop saw an enthusiastic participation of the local lawyers who showed keen interest in taking up the issues in their personal capacities. While addressing the Workshop, Dr. Meenu Bhambhani Programme Officer, N.C.P.E.D.P. shared challenges and achievements at the central level and encouraged the stakeholders in the state to recognise the rights of the persons with disabilities in the region. She stressed on active participation of people with disabilities themselves in the implementation of the Act.
Dr. B.P. Dhakal, General Secretary, S.S.S. announced that the Disability Law Unit will come up in very near future. Also, Dr. Dhakal announced that a Composite Disability Management Institute would be set up in near future. The Workshop ended with an Action Plan, which S.S.S. committed to take up with the Government
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Braille-enabled E.V.M.s in two constituencies, hardly any ramps in Bihar polls
- N.C.P.E.D.P. presents its recommendations to make Master Plan Delhiâ€“2021 disabled-friendly
- Sikkim to get its first Disability Law Unit
- Supreme Court issues notice to Union Government on Mental Health Act
- H.C. gives Goa Government six months to frame a disability policy
- Largest ever international conference on disability rights takes place in Bangkok
- Engineering student with vision impairment braves odds to follow his dreams
- National Conference held on empowering livelihoods
- Disabled people from poorest section demonstrate in front of Supreme Court
- Unemployment allowance to vision impaired in Haryana hiked
- Students with vision impairment break new ground with â€śBraille Faceâ€ť software
- Demands of students with disabilities ignored during J.N.U. Students' Union elections
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: