Volume 3 Issue 23 - December 01, 2005
Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
D.N.I.S. News Network – Less than a week from World Disability Day on 3 December, Delhi Chief Minister inaugurated Special Olympics National Games at an impressive ceremony in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 28 November.
Before the inauguration of the five-day event, goodwill ambassador for the games Bollywood star Akshay Kumar took part in the torch run from the National Stadium to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. About a thousand disabled and non-disabled children performed on the theme song for the games, which is based on movement therapy for which the children had been practising for over two months. Singers Shibani Kashyap and Vipin Aneja also presented songs.
Delhi is represented by 300 disabled athletes from schools like Aanchal Charitable Trust, Air force Golden Jubilee Institute, Akshay Pratisthan, Amar Jyoti Rehabilitation Centre, Four Steps, Muskaan, Sahan, Vasant Valley, Tamanna, NIMH, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Okhla Centre, Kulachi Manovikas, Balwant Rai Mehta, Masoom and Delhi Brotherhood Society. More than 500 competitions will be held at the event that takes place every four years.
Around 600 coaches and escorts will accompany 1,500 athletes representing various Indian states as well as a team from Pakistan. Observers from Sri Lanka have also been flown in.
Among the events on the sidelines of the Games is a Youth Summit during which Member of Parliament Sachin Pilot and business tycoon Navin Jindal will address 32 disabled athletes and their non-disabled counterparts. The athletes are also being trained in journalism and their stories will be published in the Youth Summit magazine.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Sacking an employee on grounds of schizophrenia violates Disability Act: Bombay H.C.
- Parivaar accuses National Trust of going soft on corruption allegation; Aloka Guha denies charge
- National Convention held on National Policy on Inclusive Education
- Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
- Government institutions should respect the Disability Act: President
- Disability perspective missing in ActionAidâ€™s critique of Millennium Development Goals
- Guwahati H. C. directs Nagaland to extend reservation for disabled to include higher posts
- Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
- Disability cultural festival scheduled to mark World Disability Day has no sponsor!
- Technical snag grips low-floor disabled-friendly buses
- Europeâ€™s leading low fares airline announces policy change on vision impaired passengers
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
- Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
- Chennai to host conference on Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: