Volume 2 Issue 24 - December 15, 2004
President Kalam announces speech applet for visually impaired people
DNIS News Network - The Rashtrapati Bhavan is working on a speech applet that will allow disabled people to access the Internet via a speech interface.
The Internet will soon climb a few notches up in the accessibility department. President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam has announced that the Rashtrapati Bhavan is working on a speech applet that will allow disabled people to access the Internet via a speech interface.
“It will be made available to all through my website for download, so that it can be configured to provide a speech interface for visually challenged persons,” said President Kalam, during the National Awards ceremony, held on 3rd December, for the Welfare of Persons with Disabilities. The applet, to be released on Republic Day next year, will hand a powerful tool to institutions training visually impaired people.
The President added that the Rashtrapati Bhavan, in collaboration with research and development institutions, was also working on integrating the speech interface with open source operating systems in English and other Indian languages to increase the grasp of disabled people over the Internet.
Regarding the Disability Act, the President was of the view that the Government must respect the 3 per cent job reservations. He said that more legal provisions were needed to empower disabled people with the right type of skill and technology.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- "If you do not move fast enough, you will be run over"
- UN Convention on Rights of Disabled People concludes final stage
- President Kalam announces speech applet for visually impaired people
- Search on for new CCPD
- Helen Keller awards presented
- Let's Walk to Freedom!
- Disability and Law workshop organised in Cochin
- ITF promotes Indian wheelchair tennis
- Disability still dogs Bhopal gas survivors
- Breaking down barriers
- Land mines are a major cause of disability
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: