Volume 2 Issue 24 - December 15, 2004
Land mines are a major cause of disability
DNIS News Network - Landmines do not only kill; they also maim and disable people for life.
Land mines claim more lives than shelling and firing. According to data compiled by the Indian Institute for Peace, Disarmament and Environmental Protection, mines have killed or injured 758 persons as compared to 379 casualties due to shelling and firing.
Mines have also left many people disabled. At a recent convention in Delhi, people who had become disabled due to landmines gathered to mobilise opinion against landmines. They urged the Indian and Pakistani governments to sign the Mine Ban Convention.
India voted in favour of the 1996 United Nations General Assembly Resolution urging states to pursue an international agreement banning anti-personnel mines but abstained from voting on every annual pro-mine ban treaty since then.
The Landmine Monitor report, released recently, stated that India holds between four and five million anti-personnel mines, the sixth largest stockpile in the world. According to Dr Balakrishna Kurvey, who is spearheading the Indian Campaign to Ban Landmines, the army operations along the border affected 19 lakh farmers in 1,818 villages in the districts of Ferozepur, Gurdaspur and Amritsar.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- UN Convention on Rights of Disabled People concludes final stage
- President Kalam announces speech applet for visually impaired people
- Search on for new CCPD
- Helen Keller awards presented
- Let's Walk to Freedom!
- Disability and Law workshop organised in Cochin
- ITF promotes Indian wheelchair tennis
- Disability still dogs Bhopal gas survivors
- Breaking down barriers
- Land mines are a major cause of disability
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: