Volume 9 Issue 3 - April 15, 2012
Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Ministry of Civil Aviation (M.O.C.A.) held another meeting with the stakeholders on the issue of violation of rights of passengers with disabilities on April 10, taking forward the issues that were discussed in the first meeting held by M.O.C.A. on March 12 and by Directorate General of Civil Aviation (D.G.C.A.) on March 20.
One of the major issues discussed was with respect to grievance redressal, implementation and powers of D.G.C.A. to investigate and deal with complaints. At present, D.G.C.A. has no powers under the C.A.R. or the Aircraft Act/Rules to deal with complaints of any kind. D.G.C.A./M.O.C.A. are only now thinking of setting up an Ombudsman to address passenger related complaints.
Lalit Gupta, D.D.G., D.G.C.A. shared that a list of dos and don’ts for handling people with disabilities travelling by air is ready and has been circulated to the airlines “for their approval”.
When asked about the failure to implement the existing Civil Aviation Requirements (C.A.R.) on carriage of persons with disability and reduced mobility, Gupta said it was because of “non-penetration of information” and therefore it has been decided that airport managers will be trained.
There was extensive debate on the issue of who is responsible for assisting passengers with disabilities at the airport. At present the individual airlines are responsible, but the disability sector as well as G. Asok Kumar, Joint Secretary, M.O.C.A. are in favour of the airport authorities being made responsible for that.
The next meeting will now be held on May 1.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śIt is high time for the disability sector to demand for a Disability Rights Budget Statement,â€ť Meenakshi Balasubramaniam
- Survey reveals dismal picture of persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
- Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
- Make rights of persons with disabilities justiciable: C.P.I.(M.)
- O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
- After four years, blind woman finally gets U.P.S.C. posting, but in a lower category!
- Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
- Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
- D.U. plans an examination policy for students with multiple disabilities
- Allahabad University takes a step towards being disabled-friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: