Volume 1 Issue 4 - October 15, 2003
Rights groups meet to discuss Biwako Millennium FrameworkDNIS News Network – Employment opportunities, inclusive education, problems of women with disabilities, social security and role of self-help organizations were some of the burning topics that were discussed during the two-day national consultation meet for creating a barrier-free society for disabled people under “Biwako Millennium Framework for Action”.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had organised the meet, held on October 9 and 10, 2003 at Delhi’s India Habitat Centre. Eminent people from various ministries, NGOs and public sector participated.
The meet was part of Biwako Millennium Framework’s India Chapter and is believed to signal the second United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia Pacific (UNESCAP) Decade of the Disabled (2003-2012).
Perhaps, for the first time rights groups from the disability sector and self help organizations came together to discuss the possibilities of inclusion and legal rights for disabled people.
A wide range of topics was discussed, from marginalisation of disabled women, to the right to accessible environment, to effective pension plans and pre-natal insurance plans for prevention and cure of disability.
While there was a thrust on inclusion of parents and family members of mentally ill people in self-help groups, it was brought out that little focus is given for mental disability, even when disability is discussed in India.
NGOs criticized how Biwako Millennium Framework in India has failed to address the needs of the mentally ill people. Disability is mainly perceived in terms of physical disability, the issue was raised during the session on “Women with Disabilities.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- Rights groups meet to discuss Biwako Millennium Framework
- NCPEDP features on Discovery
- Disabled women seek their rights
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan applauded
- Insurance schemes should be modified for disabled people
- Rights activists demand government support for self-help groups
- Scouts march for leprosy awareness
- Disabled kids to get educational policy soon
- Employment cannot be achieved in isolation: Activists
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: