Volume 1 Issue 4 - October 15, 2003
Rights activists demand government support for self-help groupsDNIS News Network – Criticising society’s step-motherly attitude towards the rights of disabled people, disability rights activist Javed Abidi appealed for the genuine inclusion of disabled people in the self-help movement, during a session ‘Self Help Organisations of persons with disabilities and related family and parent associations’ at the national consultation meet on Biwako Millennium Framework.
He said that only a strong self-help movement could succeed in addressing basic issues like right to accessibility, employment, self-reliance and legal empowerment.
“It has been seen that the rights of disabled people are often violated. Even after the enactment of The Disability Act 1995 way back in 1996, construction of public buildings is taking place even today, completely ignoring the mandatory need of a barrier-free architecture.”
Other speakers gave details on the formation of self-help groups; how the groups could operate and what kind of rights they could enjoy.
It was recommended that self-help groups should get government’s support and funding; promote a cross disability approach, including parents and family members of mentally disabled people; loans should be made available to self-help groups without collaterals and mortgage security and that government should encourage national and international donors for helping in resource mobilization for these groups.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- Rights groups meet to discuss Biwako Millennium Framework
- NCPEDP features on Discovery
- Disabled women seek their rights
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan applauded
- Insurance schemes should be modified for disabled people
- Rights activists demand government support for self-help groups
- Scouts march for leprosy awareness
- Disabled kids to get educational policy soon
- Employment cannot be achieved in isolation: Activists
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: