Volume 3 Issue 4 - February 15, 2005
Blind navigators set the pace in Chennai RallyDNIS News Network Forty one blind people participated as navigators in the Annual Rally for the Blind held in Chennai.
The 16th Annual Rally for the Blind was held at Chennai, Tamil Nadu on January 30, 2005. Forty one visually impaired navigators participated in the rally, giving instructions to their drivers from Braille print-outs. The 70 kilometre route covered central Chennai and the city suburbs. Each car had two passengers along with the driver and navigator, so it was a fun day out for many.
The rally was a close affair with three joint winners declared in the expert category (comprising previous winners). The three winning driver-navigator duos were Anitha Srinath-Manjula, Sonia Munglani-Rajarathinam and V N Srinivasan-Vardha. Other categories may not have been quite so closely fought but they were still competitive. Shoba Reddy and Dhandapani were the winners of the regular category with a total of 19 points. Novices K. Senthil Kumar and Murugesan claimed their title with a winning score of 14 points. In the all-ladies category, Kamala Ramaraj emerged the winner with 10 points.
For many like Priya, a student at the National Association of the Blind, Chennai, the rally gave a sense of purpose and power. I dictated the Braille instructions to my driver, she claims excitedly. Although she did not win a prize, she feels that the experience was the reward.
The only shortcoming at the rally was the shortage of drivers. Almost half of the visually impaired navigators who turned up were unable to take part. Event organiser Madras Motor Sports Club is determined to ensure that next year more drivers will be available.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Shadow Report slams government apathy
- NCPEDP submits budget recommendations for Railway and Union Budgets
- Krishnamurthy found guilty of failing to provide facilities for disabled voters in Haryana
- India tops world leprosy tables
- DDA housing scheme reserves flats for physically disabled persons
- Taj Mahal to be accessible to physically disabled people
- Tsunami victims take delivery of wheelchairs
- Blind navigators set the pace in Chennai Rally
- βBlackβ throws light on disability
- Indian automobile designer focuses on disabled persons
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: