Volume 4 Issue 4 - February 15, 2006
Beautification takes precedence over access at Delhi University library
D.N.I.S. News Network – In a sheer display of ignorance and adamance, the Delhi University administration continues to ignore the demand to make its educational infrastructure accessible for disabled people.
Things have come to such a low that even the existing structures are being turned into virtual fortress (read inaccessible) in the name of beautification. A spate of media reports in past few weeks has brought into focus the reconstruction work that is being undertaken.
Let alone the Disability Act 1995 that makes access features mandatory, even the library rules state that the way to it should be barrier-free for quick movement in case of an emergency.
“The main entrance of the Arts Faculty campus is so small that only a small car can enter and after a small distance there are pillars blocking the way. We are planning to lodge a complaint in this case very soon,” President of Delhi University Students’ Union Ragini Nayak was quoted as saying.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Making leprosy elimination meaningful by ending stigma and exclusion
- National Association of the Deaf holds pioneering National Consultation on Deaf Education
- Prime Minister meets N.F.B. members; Assures looking into amendments to Disability Act
- Lalu assures D.R.G. that concerns of disability sector will be addressed in Railway Budget
- Implement 3% reservation for disabled people in state-aided NGOs: M.S.J.E.
- C.B.S.E. exams to be disabled-friendly this year: Chairman
- Mumbai H.C. restrains state from filling up post after a blind candidate alleges discrimination
- IGNOU announces special awareness programme in disability
- N.C.P.E.D.P. - N.D.T.V. audit reveals poor state of services for disabled people by Jet
- National Seminar on Poverty and Disability
- Disabled participants register small but vital presence at Delhi International Marathon
- Beautification takes precedence over access at Delhi University library
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: