Volume 6 Issue 4 - August 01, 2009
Call for disability certificate to be merged with the Unique Identification Number
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: N.C.P.E.D.P. has asked for merging the disability certificate with the Unique Identification Number.
In a letter to Nandan Nilekani, Chairperson, Unique Identification Authority of India (U.I.D.A.I.), Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P. has said that the Unique Identification Number could also be used to identify people with disability. This move would ease the struggle of 70 million disabled Indians.
It has been an uphill task trying to persuade the authorities to make the process of procuring a disability certificate a simple task. More often than not, persons with disability in the country face harassment and indignity in order to get this important document, said Abidi.
With the setting up of U.I.D.A.I., the disability sector is enthusiastic about the prospect of including disability in it, ensuring that a person with disability does not have to move from pillar to post just to prove his or her disability, the letter stated.
We have a received a positive reply from Nandan Nilekani and the whole sector is excited at the prospect, added Abidi.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- βThe Government has to be reminded that merely signing U.N.C.R.P.D. is not sufficient,β Tanu Bedi
- N.C.R.P.D. - India calls on the Prime Minister
- Disabled Rights Group protest against non - inclusion of disability in Union Budget
- Right to Education Bill not all right, say disabled rights activists
- 3rd Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. - India held
- Core Group Meetings held on July 22 & 23
- Disability Act to be amended
- Nominations open for Helen Keller Awards 2009
- Parivaar submits Memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
- Call for disability certificate to be merged with the Unique Identification Number
- Scholarship for students with disability
- Insult on physical disability could be a punishable offence
- Army chooses golf carts over wheelchairs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: